5 Example Mission Statements for High School Basketball Coaches
High school basketball coaches are tasked not only with helping their players become better ball handlers, shooters, and dribblers, but also with helping them develop as individuals. A mission statement can provide a clear framework for these coaches to make decisions, stay focused on the team's goals, and lead by example.
A well-written mission statement can also help players understand and buy into the coach's vision. It can provide a set of shared values for the team to live by, uniting them in their common goal.
Here are five examples of effective mission statements for high school sports coaches:
1. “Our mission is to develop student athletes who demonstrate excellence in basketball, academics, and character. We strive to win with integrity, sportsmanship, and respect for the game.”
2. “We are committed to teaching basketball fundamentals in an environment that embraces teamwork and mutual respect. Our goal is to empower our players to become better athletes, citizens, and leaders in their community."
3. “Our team mission is to create a culture that emphasizes hard work, self-discipline, and the pursuit of excellence. We will strive for victory with sportsmanship and integrity.”
4. “Our mission is to bring out the best in each player by helping them develop their individual skills and knowledge of the game. We will also strive to make our players better individuals, citizens, and role models.”
5. “We are committed to teaching the fundamentals of basketball while emphasizing the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship. We will strive for success both on and off the court, helping our players become their best selves.”
Each of these mission statements is unique, but all of them emphasize developing player character and winning with integrity. Coaches who take the time to write a mission statement can reap many benefits for their teams. It can provide focus and direction, helping players understand what they are working towards and why. It can also serve as a reminder that basketball is about much more than just winning — it's about creating a positive experience and fostering long-lasting life lessons.
For more tips on team mission statements and how to write your own, read How to Write a Team Mission Statement in 4 Steps.